Bookclub Questions for ‘The Seven Sisters’
1) The Seven Sisters is allegorically based on the myths and legends of the Pleiades star constellation. Were you able to recognise parts or all of the mythology within the story? Do you think it adds another dimension?
2) One of the themes of The Seven Sisters is celebrating humanity’s great cultural achievements. In this instance, Heitor da Silva Costa with the design and construction of Christ the Redeemer. Do you think mixing historical fact with fictional characters brings these events to life?
3) When we are first introduced to Gustavo, we are led to believe he is a shy, sensitive man who is dominated by his mother. Once married, he shows a far more selfish and sometimes aggressive side to him. Does this make you dislike him? Or are you able to sympathise with him?
4) Bel’s father is socially ambitious to an extreme. How much of a driver do you believe this is in human nature in general?
5) Why do you think Paris in the 1920’s became the hub of art and literature, and the bohemian population flocked there from around the world?
6) Maia, like all her sisters, is adopted. Discuss the nature versus nurture aspect of the book, eg; are our personalities formed from birth, and if so, how much does our childhood environment impact on us?
7) Maia eventually discovers the truth about her own past. Do you think in doing so she has achieved closure and is able to move on more effectively? In general, do you believe it is a healthy thing to know the truth of your birth? Or can it be damaging?
8) Do you think it was morally correct for a single man to adopt six daughters from different parts of the world? In your opinion, are men as capable as women when it comes to nurturing and taking care of young children, especially females?
9) How much do you think the exotic setting of Brazil adds to the story?
10) Has learning about the construction of Christ the Redeemer, and the hidden stories behind it, inspired you to learn more? Did you find history an interesting subject at school? Do you believe the way it is taught is effective?